See also: media stuff, portfolio
3412 Beaumont Dr.
Brunswick, OH 44212
(216) 224-4469 - email@example.com
Technical blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/Jeff/
Maximizing ASP.NET: Real World, Object-Oriented Development, Addison-Wesley, March, 2005
Targeted to intermediate programmers transitioning from a script background to
the object-oriented .NET world. Covers ASP.NET v2.0.
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2007: “Your Attraction in a Web 2.0 World”
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008: Internet marketing panel discussion with Peter Shankman
POP Forums: An ASP.NET MVC-based forum application. http://popforums.codeplex.com/
POP World Media, LLC, Cleveland area, Ohio (est. September, 2000)
PRESIDENT. My company specializing in media production for Web-based communities and content management tools.
- Produces POP Forums for Web servers running ASP.NET MVC. Now open source, and hosted on CodePlex.
- PointBuzz.com (since 1998): Most visited unofficial Cedar Point Web site, ad supported, 1 million+ annual visitors, 7 million+ annual page views.
- CoasterBuzz.com (since 2000): A roller coaster enthusiast, content generated by visitors. Ad and subscription supported, 1.6 million+ annual visitors, 6 million+ annual page views.
- MouseZoom (since 2011): A site featuring community and photos for Walt Disney World fans. Uses Silverlight DeepZoom to display full-screen, full-resolution photos.
- Developed ad serving and support tracking applications (retired by Google Ad Manager).
Humana, remote to Louisville, Kentucky (January 2012-December 2012)
APPLICATIONS CONSULTANT. Provide guidance on process and quality issues for development teams and maintenance and support groups.
- Advise application architects on effective application health monitoring.
- Build strategy for effective application instrumentation in service oriented architecture.
- Provide development managers and leads with strategies to embrace agile development practices, specifically around unit testing and quality issues.
- Mentor developers in the use of modern methodologies, including use of dependency injection, ORM frameworks, etc.
- Create solutions for operations staff that include continuous integration for test environments.
- Prototype improvements for new and existing systems, code review other solutions.
Microsoft, Redmond, Washington (November, 2009-September, 2011)
PROGRAM MANAGER II. Cloud Services Team.
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER II. Server & Tools Online.
- Built and contributed to architecture of recognition platform, calculating and tracking points and achievements generated by users across MSDN and TechNet. Distributed system using Windows Azure and SQL Azure.
- Built and contributed to architecture of profile application, shared across the organization.
- Supported forum application for MSDN and TechNet and worked to improve its performance while reducing its server utilization. (45 million+ monthly page views.)
- Agile development with one-week iterations, shipping every four weeks.
Digital Day, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (December, 2008-April 2009)
ARCHITECT/DEVELOPMENT MANAGER. Company manages online marketing for major brands like Smuckers, Reynolds Packaging, Mars and Lasik Plus.
- Architect distributed cross-client recipe management application for packaged food brands.
- Architect and develop Mars executive travel and meeting management application for billionaire Mars family.
- Manage and mentor developers.
- Select and hire contract resources.
- Establish long-term vision for product development.
- Refine development process and procedure, including environments, source code management and deployment. Implement Scrum and Agile methodology.
- Maintain code standards, conduct code reviews.
- Advise sales and project managers for best technical solutions for client needs.
- Develop strategy for marketing platform implementation.
- Tech used: C#, .NET v3.5, ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, SQL 2005, IIS6/7, CruiseControl.Net, jQuery, ASP.NET AJAX.
Insurance.com, Solon, Ohio (January 2006-July 2008)
PROGRAMMER IV. Code, design and maintain applications for marketing and
auto insurance policy sales using .NET (C#, ASP.NET, AJAX, SQL Server).
- Co-developed rewrite of data-driven interview app that obtains and binds quotes from 15+ insurance carriers. This is Insurance.com’s primary touch point to revenue generating customers.
- Developed several components to integrate interview app with third-party and internal services.
- Design architecture for new marketing sites that allow for more abstract visitor attribution and agile SEO changes.
- Author coding standards for CSS and app-level context objects.
- Advise marketing business unit on best practices for integration of campaigns and Insurance.com marketing properties.
Mirifex, Cleveland, Ohio (Contract/Consultant: February 2005-September 2005)
DEVELOPER/ARCHITECT. Lead on document entry/financial aid award calculation system rebuild.
- Facilitate requirements process with client to establish set of use cases.
- Interview, hire and direct developers for iterative delivery of the system.
- Design application architecture.
Progressive Insurance, Mayfield Heights, Ohio (Contract/Consultant: January 2004-May 2004)
PROGRAMMER. Member of .Net policy processing pilot team.
- Work with architects and consultants to develop first components in .Net-based policy processing system.
- Explored best practices for agile process and unit testing.
Ahola Corporation, Brecksville, Ohio (March 2002-November 2003)
WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER. Create, support and maintain Web
applications for HR and payroll systems using .NET (C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server)
to interface legacy applications.
- Created intranet application to track support requests, bugs and software enhancement requests.
- Engineered data architecture between equipment sites via heavy use of Web services via VPN.
- Design documentation standards and testing procedures.
- Developed intranet application for project management and centralized documentation.
Pfingsten Publishing, Cleveland, Ohio (May 2001-October 2001)
INTERNET PROGRAMMER/ANALYST. Create, support and maintain Web
applications for company intranet, public Web sites. Projects include CRM and e-
- Used .NET (C#) during Microsoft’s beta period to begin building applications.
- Created a customer service application for IT that included time tracking, document management and case history for internal use. ASP and SQL Server back-end.
- Designed front-end interface to credit card processing gateway, used internally to authorize cards and generate reports.
Penton Media, Cleveland, Ohio (July 1999-April 2001)
GROUP WEB MANAGER. Supply Chain Group. Manage development and
maintenance of Internet product for vertical markets. Was responsible for the
specification and architecture of portal sites from conception to deployment.
- Worked with internal interactive division and third-party developer to create sites that served markets similar to those served by group’s magazines.
- Supported sales efforts to realize value proposition of online marketing opportunities for clients.
- Administered network-wide ad campaigns through Open AdStream.
- Established content creation and style standards for editorial staff.
- Directed content managers to coordinate cross-over news and content between markets and sites.
Medina Cable Access, Medina, Ohio (July 1996-June 1999)
CABLE TV COORDINATOR. Charged with designing, programming and
managing a cable access facility for the city and school district.
- Managed $110,000 annual budget to purchase and maintain equipment, hire staff and outline future capital expenditures.
- Coordinated with city and school district officials to establish roadmap for facility and program growth.
- Hired and directed staff and volunteers to produce programming.
- Assisted school district in establishing Web presence.
- Created streaming video of important programs so they could be viewed by non-cable subscribers.
Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio.
Bachelor of Arts, May 1995
Majors (double): Journalism/English
Radio/Television - Programming, Production and Performance
Radio Air Personality (1994-1996), WYHT/Mansfield, OH, WZJM/Cleveland.
Hardware Sales Lead (1995-1996), CompUSA, N. Olmsted, OH.
Lighting Designer (1996-1998), Brunswick, OH Alumni Community Theatre.
Volleyball Coach (1997-1998), Ninth grade girls, Medina H.S., Medina, Ohio.
Volleyball Head Coach (2005), Our Lady of The Elms High School, Akron, Ohio.
Volleyball Coach (2000-2006), Quicksilver Volleyball Club (17 Open), Greater